Wednesday, November 5, 2014

WD launches wireless external Hard Drive – My Passport Wireless


Launch

The launch was held on 28 Nov 2014 at the top floor of Dallas Restaurant & Bar. It was cosy. Fingers foods, drinks were served. I have never use any of the WD My Passport external hard disk before. I am surprised that My Passport range of external hard disks was already in her 10th anniversary  and now it goes wireless.




Features and Capabilities

The My Passport Wireless drive broadcasts its own wireless network that allows up to eight devices to connect at the same time and access any content stored on the drive. Available in 500GB, 1TB or 2TB models. The wireless drive features Wireless N with MIMO technology for enhanced wireless performance. A built-in rechargeable battery provides up to six hours of continuous streaming and up to 20 hours of standby power making the drive a perfect travel companion.








Demonstration

Charlie, a professional photographer, demonstrated the use of the wireless drive. A WD free mobile apps, WD My Cloud, must first be installed in our mobile smart devices before we can wirelessly connect and transfer the files. Charlie uses light painting method to photograph us individually. Photo files were immediately back-up into the wireless drive. Those who were connected to the wireless drive, will be able to view and save their photo into their mobile smart devices. With this wireless drive, the level of efficiency had greatly increased.






Price and Availability

The price for the wireless drive is $299 for 1TB and $399 for 2TB. They are available in selected Singapore retailers. It is also available online at wdstore.com



WD Company

Western Digital (WD) is an innovator and a leading storage industry company. She produces reliable hard disk drives and solid state drives. They are used in desktops, mobile computers as well as enterprise computing systems. The company was started in 1970 and grew to become a world provider for storage devices. The company is listed in NASDAQ:WDC.

Personal Opinion : How this drive serves my needs

As I am a freelance photographer and an accidental blogger, I require my photographs to be back-up immediately after every shoot. Not too long ago, I bought a Sony wireless media drive to allow me to transfer my photographs from my DSLR to my IPAD Air for my social media posting needs. The media drive is limited by the capacity of the SD and CF cards and does not have an internal storage. With WD My Passport Wireless drive, I can back-up all my photographs and at the same time allow me to retrieve the files for my IPAD Air Instagram posting. With a large capacity drive of 2TB, I am free to shoot as much as want to, knowing that I will not ran out of storage space any time soon.  It serves my needs and thus, it is my ideal product.

No comments:

Post a Comment